12 April 2011

Yorkshire Red Grouse Photography






I recently spent an enjoyable day with a client on one of my Yorkshire Dales Birds Photography Courses As usual there was plenty around, with lapwing, curlew and oystercatcher shouting across the moors. The curlews are particularly difficult to photograph, and although we saw plenty - they were mostly in flight as they passed over the car.. As often is the case, the red grouse were out in force - mostly males who posed obligingly by the roadside for minutes at a time as we endulged in some perfect wildlife photography (congratulations Craig on your first grouse photo!) We were even treated to some classic calling, and a bit of interaction with the odd female. At the end of the day I was lucky enough to capture some cracking images - some of my best to date of red grouse. The low evening light created beautiful backlighting of the birds and the surrounding heather. I varied the shots: some with fill-flash and some without and managed to record some interesting poses.





I am planning more of theses nature photography workshops later this summer to capture the grouse when the heather is in bloom, along with other potential subjects and locations.

2 comments:

  1. Great shots Paul. Makes me wish I could have hung around for the evening light. Still I had a great day, got some pleasing images - and was greatly amused/entertained by the grouse into the bargain. Now if only I'd seen that merlin you spotted....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dude,

    The red grouse is a medium sized bird. The tail is black and the legs are white. There are white stripes on the underwing and red combs over the eye. Females are less reddish than the males and have less conspicuous combs. Thanks a lot.......

    ReplyDelete