22 March 2013

Walking Blue Tit

Blue Tit by Paul Miguel
Blue Tit, a photo by Paul Miguel on Flickr.

I just manage to catch this stunning blue tit with its foot raised. This was taken this morning at my feeding station. The conditions were quite horrible early on - snow, slush and almost a blizzard. Setting up the correct perches and strategically putting out food also takes time. Once in the hide though, I had some great opportunities with the small birds. Light levels started very low and I was up to ISO 1000. Later on I was able to shoot at about ISO 640, using 1/500 at f6.3. This shutter speed got almost pin sharp images every time. Focusing is really the key here - you need to concentrate on the head, rather than the body. For this, I often use the top focus point on my camera. For a short while the light was really nice, giving an extra bit of sparkle. The blanket of snow beneath also helps to reflect more light and works brilliantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment